Teagan LeVar

Tegan Levar

Summer URG

Please provide a brief summary of your research.
This summer, I researched how light availability and species’ order of arrival into a plant community impacts the competition between plant species commonly found in seed mixes used in oak woodland restorations. The specific metric I used to represent impacts of competition was the growth rates of the twelve species in the experiment.

What made you initially interested in researching your project in particular?
I love being out in nature, especially in the woods, and this research was aimed toward gaining knowledge to inform the most effective strategies for restoring damaged oak woodlands with seed mixes.

What made you interested in pursuing (interdisciplinary) research more broadly?
I’ve always loved science, and I feel that getting into research is one of the best ways for me personally to contribute to the world.

Describe your experiences with research thus far. Was it tricky? What skills do you think you’ve gained?
There were definitely some tricky parts to the research, particularly figuring out how to move forward when things don’t go according to the original plan. By doing my research, I’m definitely better at adapting to changes, and I feel more confident in my skills as a scientist in general and being able to talk about scientific ideas.

Any tips or advice you have for students similar to you that are interested in pursuing undergraduate research?
I would definitely say to take advantage of the resources offered by OUR. Also, I would say to reach out to any professors or researchers who you think work in a similar area to your interests. Even if you don’t know them, they will likely be willing to talk with you and offer help or advice for your research.