Alexandra Bomhorski

Alexandra Bomhorski

Emerging Scholars Program

Please briefly summarize your research.
My research for this upcoming summer is synthesizing the different preventative methods that have been found to decrease tobacco usage among youth in the U.S. I will be looking at the effects of social media, Covid-19, graphic warning labels, preventative media, and experimental data. I will also be analyzing laws and FDA provisions that have been passed in the last ten years to see how well the government has been doing in respect to this topic.

What made you interested in pursuing (interdisciplinary) research more broadly?
I wanted to pursue interdisciplinary research more broadly because I knew that my interest lay somewhere between marketing and psychology. I also think that to get the full picture of anything you need to look at it from multiple angles. Therefore, I think many concepts, ideas, etc. benefit from being studied from an interdisciplinary perspective.

How has it been working with faculty to transition from an assistant position to a more independent role?
The transition from an assistant position to a more independent role has been a very rewarding experience. I greatly value the mentorship that I received last summer, as it slowly prepared me to work on my own research. The whole idea of starting your own independent research project may be a daunting one, especially without a mentor. That is why I am grateful to be working with the Emerging Scholars Program, as I definitely feel a lot more prepared and confident in pursuing my own project than I did before.

What’s been your favorite part about being in a cohort with other scholars?
My favorite part of being in a cohort with other scholars is the supportive community that it built for me. Research is hard, and having others around you, that are struggling along side of you, makes the journey a little less daunting. Very grateful for my Spectacular 7 cohort!

Do you have any tips or advice for first years similar to you who are interested (but maybe hesitant) to apply for a 15 month long program?
A 15 month long program may seem like a long time, but it ends up going by so fast. By the end you are able to work on a project that you designed, based on your own personal interests. I believe that anyone who wants to get experience with research in humanities would benefit from both of the summers as the first one prepares you for the second.