Lucia Barnum

Lucia Barnum

Please provide a brief summary of what you plan to research over the summer, where you plan to go, and why you chose those locations.
This summer, I will research community mobilization and social organizing in the wake of fire disasters in Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Greece, Ghana, and Australia. Each of these countries has experienced a major fire event in the last six years, or has otherwise grappled with how national fire policy fails to meet the needs of communities on the front lines of these disasters. In talking with experts and stakeholders, I hope to develop best practices for how fire and disaster management policy can meet the needs of those most impacted by these tragedies.

What made you interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research?
As a journalism major, I’ve taken many courses that emphasize the importance of interviews, observation, and storytelling. As a researcher, I find it essential to incorporate this same multidimensional approach. Interdisciplinary research is especially important in this field: while “natural” disasters are oftentimes portrayed as only being about the environment, it is imperative to consider them socio-ecological events.

Describe your experiences with research thus far in your career.
I currently work as a Leopold Fellow with Dr. Paul Gillingham on his research about Mexican history. I also received a SURG the summer after my freshman year, which I used to create a three-part narrative podcast series on a local election in Palatine, IL. Last summer, I was a Peer Mentor and helped SURG awardees as they conducted their own research. I have also written sociological research papers for various classes at Northwestern, but this will be my first independent social science project of this scope!

What made you initially interested in researching your topic in particular?
Growing up in Northern California, wildfires are an essential, unavoidable part of life. I’ve seen community organizing around fire disaster with my own eyes. I want to highlight this unique form of expertise to help give stakeholders, including my own neighbors, the necessary tools to create safer communities.

Any tips or advice you have for students interested in pursuing undergraduate research?
I would encourage anyone interested in undergraduate research to shoot their shot! It can be a daunting process, but has been one of the most rewarding parts of my time at Northwestern so far. When I started writing my first research proposal, I had no idea what I was doing, but the OUR office has so many great resources that helped me grow my confidence.

Which aspect of your trip are you most excited about?
I’m excited to explore nature in other parts of the world! A great part of my proposal is that it will (hopefully) allow me to go outside of major cities and into more rural areas. I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to get outside my comfort zone and appreciate the natural beauty these locations have to offer.

Do you collect anything?
I collect magnets! It’s a habit I inherited from my grandmother, whose fridge is covered in magnets from different places she and her loved ones have visited.

What skill would you most like to learn?
I’m not a very musical person, but have recently started teaching myself the guitar. I’d love to learn how to play a wider variety of instruments, but for now, I’ve got my work cut out with just one.