I packed in more than a dozen activities during my time in Melbourne this week. Because I only had a 10-day trip, I did not see as much of the city as I saw of, for example, Kuala Lumpur. However, Melbourne was my favorite city on this trip. I came here with no expectations and the city did not disappoint.

My zoo adventure! I needed a sure way to see kangaroos and the all-reaching emus for the first time, so I went to the Melbourne zoo. The kangaroos were small, the emus big.

On my way to the LUME exhibit, I walked across the Queen’s Bridge that overlooks the Yara river near the CBD city center. It offered one of the best views of the entire trip.

My friend Jessi invited me to the LUME, which showcased a huge digital exhibit on the life and works of Vincent van Gogh. I enjoyed learning more about the painter and seeing his work come to life in the vast exhibit hall.

On a rainy day (of which there were many), I took a jaunt down Chinatown. Next time I visit Melbourne, I am getting hot pot.

Queen Victoria’s Winter Night Market: it was the last Wednesday of winter here in Melbourne and therefore the last day to attend the Winter Night Market! I tried some excellent bao and watched some of the amazing performers who attended.

Mary Eats Cake offered the high tea with the best savory items I’ve had. I go to high tea whenever I can, so it was comforting to find just down the street from my accommodation here.

I’m not a drinker, but I went to my first-ever chocolate and wine tasting. It was fun to taste some Australia-grown wines and–my personal favorite–Ecuadorian chocolate.

Last but not least, the kayaking tour!!! I have wanted to hop in a kayak since I visited London–and saw people kayaking in the river Thames–for the first time in 2016. I was thrilled to find a tour group that allowed singles to join in.

Cheers,
MEG